Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Loop-dee-loop

I was chatting recently with a friend who was describing another friend’s blog, which had turned into a pregnancy blow-by-blow.  My friend was growing tired of the entries, complaining that, “Duh!  Most people already know this stuff…we don’t need to read it in your blog.”  My mental, non-spoken response was immediately, “Well, then, don’t read the blog!”  But I did understand a little bit where she was coming from.  To be honest though, if I’m anything like the average American woman, I do enjoy reading others’ stories about new life, seeing pictures of growing tummies, and counting down the days until their due dates.  Maybe a part of that is because I’m journeying through it too, but it’s held true since before I knew I was pregnant.  I guess the whole point of this paragraph is to say, if you aren’t interested, there is no pressure to read what I have to say.  Very few people even know I have a blog and I write mostly what entertains me, because the main point of this blog is to eat up time at work!  But, if you are interested, be forewarned—it’s probably going to be baby-centric for the foreseeable future.  If you had a kid the size of a cabbage jumping around in your abdomen constantly you wouldn’t be able to think about much else either.

So it’s another week at the job and the big news in our house is that I won’t have to work here forever!  VWH has landed a full-time job!  It is relatively local, at a Christian school, and, most importantly, comes with benefits.  This makes us super excited  as I can plan to stay at home with our little one after his arrival.  I can NOT wait!!!!  My departure date is still to be determined, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is beautiful.  (This is especially good timing as I just received my annual employee evaluation from my lovely boss and was deemed an extremely “average” employee…good to know I won’t be missed…)  November can’t come fast enough!

I have mental images of being snowed in, with a pot of soup simmering on the stove, cuddling my little baby in our glider rocker, watching out the front window for VWH to arrive home from work and welcoming him into a spotless home.  Haha.  Yeah right.  I’m not stupid.  I know that babies are just as messy, noisy, and stinky as they are cute and snuggly.  And just because I’m staying at home with a baby doesn’t mean I will have free time.  Being a stay-at-home mom is quite possibly the toughest job in the world.  If you don’t believe me, you may end up here Still, I can’t help but think that our baby will be pretty stinkin’ cute, even if he is also noisy and messy. 

And I don’t intend to stop working.  Working my current job, yes.  Absolutely.  But now I can start teaching private music lessons once again, which will be a good source of income and bring some music back into my life.  My mom kept up a studio while we were at home and it’s turned into quite the business for her.  I look at the way my parents went about raising us and I really do desire to parallel a lot of their choices.  They exhibited a lot of wisdom in balancing work and family, always putting their kids first.  I hope that’s paid off for them as much as it did for us.

This blog has turned into random musings, which wasn’t the intent, but I don’t have the energy to go back and try to turn it into an essay either.  So, random musings are what you’re stuck with today.  At least I posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment