Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Insert original and witty title here


I like to think of myself as an optimist.  When my friends are going through tough times it’s all too easy for me to locate and share (whether they’re interested or not) the silver lining.  I do this with myself too, which is sometimes helpful and sometimes plunges me into a vicious guilt cycle for complaining about something when I have so much for which to be thankful.

In spite of my optimism, I know that I have the ‘gift’ of criticism.  Sometimes this can come in handy, but usually it’s a hindrance.  There have been precious few times in my adult life when I haven’t been in a state of dissatisfaction with some major aspect of my current circumstances.  Every job I’ve had I’ve complained about, and I’m especially good at putting blame on anyone but me.  It’s her fault I’m so unhappy because she’s such a bossy person.  It’s his fault that I can’t get this done because he’s getting in the way and slowing me down.  If he was a better teacher I wouldn’t be stuck here wasting my time.  If she would just let me do it my way she would see how much better it could be.  Criticizing others justifies my unhappiness and temporarily eases frustration.

There are two seasons in the past ten years that do contradict my poor attitude.  One was my undergraduate college experience.  My parents did a terrific job of informing me that the four years they had in college were some of the best of their lives and to not undervalue them.  My childhood was devoid of meaningful friendships and college gave me the relationships I had sought and prayed for.  I knew how good I had it and I relished every day as a new adventure, full of excitement and promise.

The other season is, thankfully, one that I’m in right now.  It’s the season of mommy-hood.  There are a lot of things about being a mom that people turn their noses up at (literally).  I go online and read articles about parenting and then shake my head when the comments below inevitably contain the following sentiments:
-Why would anyone go through all of that to have kids?
-I had one kid and that was enough!  I miss my freedom and job and being skinny.
-I can’t wait until so-and-so is old enough so that I can go back to work.  I’m going stir-crazy at home!
-Reading articles like this convinces me that I will never have children.  The world’s overpopulated anyway.

Now, I know that I’m only 6 months into the adventure of parenting.  I’m aware of the fact that eleven hours of sleep my little boy gives me each night could disappear at any moment.  I know there’s a whole lot awaiting me down the road that will challenge my patience and mercy.  But, I also know that there’s something about being a mom that beautifully strips away ME and brings me selflessness beyond anything I’ve experienced in life.  All of the sudden it’s not such a big deal to scrub soiled clothing or change eight diapers a day or catch spit-up in my hand or get up at 4 in the morning.  I don’t exactly look forward to those things, but when they inevitably happen it’s OK.  Each new day is a new adventure, full of excitement and promise.

My prayer is that the patience I’m experiencing in being a new mom permeates the rest of my life.  I want to be a cooperative musician, a giving wife, a humble servant of the Lord.  There will be the inevitable trials and bumps, but surely there are better ways to handle them than passing the blame and puffing in self-righteousness.  Because each new day is a new adventure, full of excitement and promise.


(I suppose it’s not so hard to be a selfless mommy when you get to spend your days with this smile.)

No comments:

Post a Comment