Friday, February 8, 2013

I'm back, she said cautiously.

Dear Bloggy Blog,

I’m sorry friend.  You have been neglected, it’s true.  There are a number of reasons for this; some good, some not so good.  My son turned one and has turned into a mess-making machine of a monster.  His idea of home sweet home is having as many items possible on floor level and watching Mommy step on them.  He laughs uproariously when we play hide and seek and shrieks uncontrollably at the bath.  He runs through the house with toilet paper flying behind him, like those message things hanging off the back of airplanes at the beach.  He is no longer fit for public consumption, unless you don’t mind him toddling around restaurants flirting with all women over the age of 60 and begging for food from anybody.  He is also completely, 100% adorable.  Basically the most gorgeous kid on the planet.  Just when I think I can’t stand the crud level in my house for one more second he amazes me with a huge smile, special hug, or new trick.  The Adventure of James is more terrifying and wonderful than I ever could have imagined.  It’s also exhausting.

My interest in blogging has led me to read other’s work more in the past few months.  This has been most enjoyable, but also discouraging, as the inevitable comparisons niggle the back of my brain.  To be completely candid, I haven’t blogged because I’m not as funny as I think, not as witty as him, or have as expansive a vocabulary as her.  I started blogging because I needed an outlet at work, and writing helped that.  Entering the realm of competitive blogging is dumb.  Not for me.  Must put these thoughts behind me.  Any suggestions?

Bloggy, I’ve started a new job.  And have had several part-time, “just this once” opportunities that have ended up being not just this once.  It’s great to network with the musicians in this fine city.  I’m loving teaching some very talented students.  And performing brings me to life in a certain way nothing else does.  But it takes me away from home and what was a routine just a few short months ago.  I’m fighting to figure out when it’s best to make music (and $!!) and preserve that huge part of my life, and when to say ‘no’ because finding childcare and balancing everything is way too stressful to be worth it.

Additionally, it’s winter.  In Rochester.  Which sucks.  I mean, falling snow is beautiful, and there’s nothing better than having your family in for the day with snow, soup on the stove, and light jazz in the background.  But snow in Rochester means you aren’t at home, because this city refuses to stop for inclement weather.  It means you have to drive in it, exist in it, dig out from it, and do so like it’s just another day.  When I was in college this didn’t bother me very much.  I think I was too busy with music to notice.  But since I’ve been married I notice.  And I don’t like it.  Every dreary, gloomy February that rolls around I start thinking, “I can’t live here another year.”  It’s much easier to hide under fleece blankets and glaze over watching Gilmore Girl marathons than acknowledge its soul-sucking existence.  I am more than ready for spring.  And being depressed about it is the pits.

So, there are some of my excuses dear blog.  But if you wade through all of that you can see, on the other side, that I have posted today.  I did it!  Here’s to a few more in 2013, and to the sun coming out sometime in the next 3 months.  Please.

This kid, and his daddy, keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment