Friday, August 26, 2016

Date Night In: By the Fire

Yesterday was our anniversary and we celebrated by Roy working from 9-11:30 and me from 2-9:30. It was really special.

Anniversary Date Night In was held on Wednesday and it actually was really special.

In the first realm of specialness, the pretzel buns. Here’s what the book says they should look like.

And here’s what they actually looked like.
#uglyassin
(That’s “ugly as sin”, not…whatever alternative translation you want to come up with.)

I’ve made pretzels before and even if they come out of their baking soda bath a little lumpy looking they poof up nicely in the oven. Not so this time. Even Roy couldn’t suppress a laugh when he saw the finished product. We counted on their bite being better than their bark.

I’m afraid I didn’t spend much of Wednesday focusing solely on my children and cherishing every second of their little lives. It was a clock-watching day. How many more hours until bedtime? I was hungry for good food and good time with Roy. He took the boys up at 7:15PM and I immediately started sautéing shallots and melting cheese for our non-fire-pit fontina dip. I cut up one of the #uglyassin pretzel rolls to dip in this Italian fondue. And the instant Roy reemerged from stories and prayers it was READY.

It looked pretty ugly. Not nice to photograph. Should have presented in the skillet or a dipping bowl or something. I apologize for the ugliness. (At least I tore up the roll as to mask its horrific appearance.)
Don't say I didn't warn you.
As was the theme of the menu, it tasted better than it looked. It tasted great. And, while sometimes eating cheese straight up doesn’t agree with my stomach, this wasn’t a problem. I'll be making more for lunch.

The timer beeped and Roy pulled out the foil-wrapped packet of potatoes, garlic, oil, salt and pepper. He tossed them lightly in sour cream and dill while I cooked two sausages over our non-fire-pit stovetop. They were then tucked into pretzel rolls, slathered in mustard cream cheese, and covered in Roy’s pickled peppers.

That’s the way to eat a hot dog my friends.

The potato salad was warm and dilly and we both commented on how nice it was to eat meat, bread, and potatoes for supper. Most certainly not our normal fare but what an excellent, satisfying treat!

For dessert I pulled out the s’mores terrine that had chilled in the fridge. We sliced off respectable hunks and enjoyed the rich chocolate dotted with graham cracker chunks and chewy marshmallows. It was like s’more fudge. Ashley recommends cutting a slice and using it as the chocolate in an actual s’more. A s’more within a s’more if you will. We have ample leftovers to try this. I’ll let you know if we do.


I had, yet again, recurring dreams of guzzling glass after glass of water that night. We didn’t add nearly as much salt into these dishes as some other DNIs, but things like the sausages came pre-loaded.

At this point in my summaries I try to include a quote from Ashley’s opening entry presenting each DNI. This one was all about how she and her husband built a fire pit together and how their strengths complemented each other in its construction. The last time Roy and I had a bonfire we didn’t put it out all the way and woke up the next morning to discover the cover for our little pit was burned into a melty, ruined mess. (And melty, unlike the fontina dip, is not good in this instance.) So how about if we skip the Ashley quote this month?

My parents learned from an early age that, with me, anticipation is most of the fun. Surprise birthday parties, while enjoyable in theory, rob you of looking forward to the birthday party. I think one of the reasons this summer was so incredible was because of how hard I looked forward to it. Date Night In has become something I am excited about for days and weeks ahead of time.

Roy, happy anniversary. More than birthday parties, summer, and date nights--being with you means I always have something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment