Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Date Night In: Wood by Fried Chicken

“…it wasn’t until we had kids that I discovered how truly selfish I was, thinking that the time when they all were finally quiet and in bed belonged to me. During the day, I had played Legos when I wanted to read, changed diapers when I had just sat down to eat, given hard lessons about sharing when I really just wanted to sink into the couch and let my mind think of nothing. So when late evening’s quiet finally came, I wanted nothing more than to answer only to myself. Soon, however, I realized my desires overshadowed my marriage and that I had selfishly ignored the person I cared for the most.”
                -Ashley Rodriguez, Not Without Salt, pp. 168-169

I wrestle with this daily. Introverted as I am, the peace and solitude of the end of a long day beckons to me. When Roy is home for a few nights in a row we fall into a lovely rhythm of sitting down after the kids are asleep and connecting in conversation, often over a dessert or drink. But if he’s had several consecutive evening concerts, that first night when he’s home again can often feel stilted. I quickly claimed that time as “my own” while he’s gone and it takes a little practice to share again. It comes back soon enough, and this Date Night In happened to fall on the third consecutive evening of being together, so we were in our groove.

Roy tackled the cocktail and preheated the oven while I snuggled and kissed and tucked in. Then I came down to face my greatest kitchen fear: deep fat frying.

As I double-dredged the chicken thighs I couldn’t help but remember my days of working in the deli at the local grocery store. My parents have always maintained that it’s important for everyone to work a menial, minimal-wage job for a while. This was it, in spades. Pounds and pounds of frying chicken, slicing deli meats and cheeses, prepping subs—all the while terrified for my musical fingers around all the sharp blades. There wasn’t a lot of joy in the deli I’m afraid, but it did give me a better appreciation for those who do it cheerfully. (I’m a lot better at guesstimating small weights too.)

When I fried chicken in the deli, I just dumped it in some fancy frying gizmo and set a timer. Not so here. I carefully kept an eye on the temperature of the oil (there was probably a quart of it, glistening in all of its fat and cholesterol, and simmering in a way that made me fear for my skin). Once it hit 360° I carefully dropped in the thighs. They started bubbling and in general doing what they did in the deli, a good sign. I needn’t have worried about the temperature of the oil getting too high…the cold chicken immediately lowered the temperature by thirty degrees. Three minutes per side and I placed them on a cooling rack. That then was placed into the oven (over a silent prayer that the rack was oven-safe) for 9 minutes.

Roy finished the cocktails and handed me mine—a basil mint jubilee. There were 8 mint and 4 basil leaves all muddled on the bottom of our glasses, but we both agreed that all we could taste was bourbon. I muddled some more, but it didn’t change much. Maybe crafting a syrup from the leaves and using that instead next time? In either case, either by design or technique, this didn’t wow us.
The bourbon highlight of the night was not this drink.
We turned our attention to the pickled vegetable salad. I toasted almonds and drained pickled onions, beets, corn, and carrots, while Roy chopped parsley, lettuce, and crumbled goat cheese. It looked super-colorful once assembled. We enjoyed it. Again—probably not my favorite thing? But the flavor combination was new and refreshing. I don’t feel the need to pickle anything anytime soon though.
We were really in it for the goat cheese.
The chicken came out and we assembled our sandwiches. The biscuit WAS probably my favorite thing. It had grainy mustard spread on the bottom and honey drizzled on the top, and it was drop-dead tasty. The chicken was good! It tasted authentic, with a nice crispy exterior and perfect doneness on the inside. I still struggled to eat something that I had fried myself, but I think if anybody else had made it I would have loved it. Personal struggle there. The sandwich was ENORMOUS. No way I was going to manhandle it without utensils. (This is supposed to be a date, no?) So I forked my way through it, which gave me the excuse opportunity to eat the chicken first and then savor the biscuit. Yummmmmm.
Biscuity goodness, grainy mustard, dill pickle slices, a honking piece of fried chicken, honey, and more biscuity goodness. Roy's comment, "If we had eaten stuff like this when we lived in the south maybe we wouldn't have been in such a hurry to leave."
We were full and there was still dessert. (Chocolate pecan ice cream pie with bourbon butterscotch and pretzel crust…you can do the angel “ahhh” song now.) I am excited to have another slice of this today when I’m not pushing over-fullness, because it was incredible and I think I would appreciate it even more when my stomach had room. The crust didn’t come out of the dish very well—I think the butterscotch sauce was absorbed into the pretzel crust enough that it hardened onto the plate. So here’s a picture of pie with the crust on the side (which wasn’t a bad way to experience it at all).
I feel like our dessert photos aren't as good as some of the other ones. Perhaps it's because we're already half-asleep and rolling on the ground from the main course.
The butterscotch sauce was cool. It hit you as BOURBON initially, but quickly receded into a warm, dark caramel, with the lingering taste of the browned butter (I could definitely tell it was browned—yay!). I find complex flavors like that rather magical. Like taking a little journey with each taste.

An extra bonus is that this made an entire pie, so lots of leftovers. (If you happen to be visiting from out of state tomorrow you are in for a treat!) ;)

So…this probably wasn’t my faaaaaavorite menu of the three we’ve done so far, but it was still excellent, and components of it will be added to my go-to list. (Anybody want a biscuit???)

Some people, like me, need the encouragement of a good meal to woo them to the table and to connect with their partner, while others might need a walk or an intentional 15 minutes with their partner. The point is to connect; whatever gets you there is more than good enough.
                -NWS, p. 169


Today’s 1%: I’ve only been up for ninety minutes so there haven’t been many chances to knock this day out of the park. But my day has been greatly improved because of the loving kindness of my dear husband, who washed all of the dishes from last night’s merrymaking before I came downstairs. Excuse me while I go give him all of the kisses…

Update: I went to give kisses and he met me with a cup of coffee. TRULY my knight in shining armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment