Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Girly girls vs. manly men

Two entries in one day you ask? This only illustrates the sheer volume of scintillating tasks that must be accomplished this afternoon.  I spent the hour before lunch folding hundreds of letters into perfect thirds. 

The other reason I thought I’d update is because I actually have an update!  The Pittsburgh-Buffalo game was this past Sunday and it was a doozy.  The week leading up to actual event was most enjoyable, as I taunted and teased my VWH and the in-laws about the impending blow-out.  This was probably a bad idea for several reasons:
1)    Pittsburgh tends to play at the level of whatever team they play.
2)    Buffalo had a two-game winning streak.  Now, granted, they were the only two games they’ve won, but it was still a streak of sorts.
3)    We were watching the game AT the in-laws’ house.
4)    They had food there that I wanted to eat.
And the most important reason:
5)    There was a bridal shower going on for my future sister-in-law during the game and I really wasn’t supposed to be watching football at all.

My brain worked overtime all weekend in an effort to sort out my priorities.  It was like a day from my college Philosophical Ethics class.  Pros and cons.  Deontology vs. utilitarianism.

Pros to watching the game:
1)    It’s a match-up we only get once every four years.
2)    I had hyped it up to the point where going to the shower instead was going to be embarrassing.
3)    We were originally supposed to GO to the game and that didn’t happen.
4)    The game started at 1 and the shower at 3 so I would only miss a little bit of the shower.  And hopefully it would be such a blow-out that it wouldn’t even be an issue.  I mean, comon’, it’s Pittsburgh!
5)    My manly in-laws would think I was cool.  (This actually proved to be true.)

Pros for attending the shower:
1)    It’s the only shower my future sis-in-law was ever going to have that I could attend.
2)    They changed the date so I could be there.  (Yeah…that’s a tough one to get around.)
3)    Every time I’ve watched Pittsburgh play on TV this year they’ve lost.
4)    The game started at 1 and the shower at 3 so I would only miss a little bit of the game.  And hopefully it would be such a blow-out that it wouldn’t even be an issue.  I mean, comon’, it’s Pittsburgh!
5)    My womanly in-laws would think I was cool.

The game started and the first half was everything I could have hoped for.  Pittsburgh led at the half 13-0 and controlled the ball for 24 minutes (out of 30).  We were dominating.  It was ugly.  It was sweet. 

Then the “law-of-arrogance” kicked in the third quarter.  The Bills got a field goal.  Then a touchdown.  Then Buffalo decided to tie the game precisely at 3PM.  It’s like they KNEW what I was going through.  As I watched aunts, grandmas, and cousins pull into the driveway (one especially elderly aunt backed right into a sturdy maple tree) I was torn in half.  What to do?  Why did it have to come down to this?

Still convincing myself that the game would be over soon I opted for football.  Well, those stinkin’ Bills had to send it to overtime.  (Really, the Steelers were looking pretty dismal…we’re lucky we pushed it that far.)  The NFL plays sudden-death overtime, which usually means it’s over quickly.  But this was no ordinary overtime.  This overtime consisted of several drives, back and forth.  There were fumbles at the ½ yard line and dropped catches that would have easily ended the growing misery. 

You can probably guess where this is headed.  By the time Pittsburgh finally scrapped together a drive ending in the game-winning field goal it was well after 4:30.  I let out a quick whoop and immediately left the bedroom just in time to see the aunts, grandmas, and cousins pulling out of the driveway.  Wrapping paper littered the floor of the living room and almost all the food was gone.  This was perhaps the worst way things could have ended for me: Pittsburgh wins the game but we really didn’t deserve to.  Bragging rights have been severely minimized.  And yet I still missed the entire shower, leaving my sister-in-law-to-be (SILTB?) less than happy with me.  (I don’t know this for sure, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the smoothest move.) 

I feel bad.  Things didn’t turn out the way they were supposed to.  If I had to go back and do it again I would choose differently.  Obviously, the moral of this story is: don’t schedule bridal events during football games.  I’m sure VWH will feel the same way when, in a few weeks, he’ll be the best man at the wedding, wishing he knew the score to the Bills game.

No comments:

Post a Comment