Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sometimes emails make the best blogs...

Uh-oh Bekah, you have unleashed THE BEAST.  THE BEAST is also known as “the employee that doesn’t have enough to do.”  Long emails that may include a lot of information about nothing will flood your inbox and make you wish you had NEVER given me your contact information.  <stalks around office like a t-rex> 

OK.  Not really.  Unless walking around normally with a burgeoning baby boy makes me look like a t-rex, which probably isn’t terribly far from the truth…

And I have no clue if that’s a proper use for the word burgeoning.

Hmm.  Are you picking up on the following facts:
1.       I have little or nothing to do right now.
2.       I had chai 30 minutes ago and the sugar is making me think random thoughts and generally experience that medical ailment VWH and I refer to as “the wiggles.”
3.       The counselors are all in a meeting so I can’t be hyper with them.  And I certainly can’t be hyper with BossWoman.  So I am forced to be hyper in this email.

ANYHOO…how are ya?  Lovely to get your email this morning.  I read it over my bowl of frosted shredded wheat (Which is high in fiber.  Fiber is a pregnant woman’s best friend.) and was thankful for that when I burst out laughing at your final question.  If I had done that at work I would have been drawn some undesired attention.  Seriously, hardest I’ve laughed in a long time.  To answer your question I think you need to see a rough outline of a day at work:

7:55 AM.  Arrive at work, un-forward phone, attempt to say ‘hellos’ in a somewhat conscious, cheery voice.
8:30 AM.  Stretch break.  Get up and say ‘hi’ to whoever’s in the back.
9 AM.  Pee.
9:30 AM.  Stretch break.  Take a lap, drop off some mail, deliver mail, etc etc etc.
10:00 AM.  Chai tea!  The happiest part of my morning.  Usually involves a lengthy “conversation” with our receptionist in which I listen to her discuss her latest cooking triumphs or the many talents of her daughters.
10:30 AM.  Pee.
11:00 AM.  Go visit the counselors for a few minutes.
11:30 AM.  Start deliberating about eating lunch.  The deliberations don’t last long and I eat it.
12:00 PM.  Pee.  Lunch break, which means practice flute for an hour.  Best part of the day.
1:00 PM.  Pee.  Settle back in for the afternoon.  1-2 is office manager’s break so I usually get on my iPod and play Words With Friends/check Facebook.  I am a lousy employee.  But my work is done by that point so what else am I going to do?
2:00 PM.  Stretch break.  Go see counselors or maybe mother-in-law across the hall for a few minutes.  Drop off afternoon mail.
2:30 PM.  Start deliberating about afternoon snack.  See 11:30AM for results of deliberation.
3:00 PM.  Pee. 
3:30 PM.  Start counting down the minutes until 5PM.
4:00 PM.  Hope that my good friend Cheryl gets online so we can chat for the last hour of the day.  This has turned into a ritual that I’m afraid I count on too much.
4:30 PM.  Pee
5:00 PM.  Hallelujah! 

So…in summary that’s 6 “pees” in 9 hours.  Tack on a few more in the evening, at least one overnight, and one before work, and there you go.  I read recently that by the end of 9 months your bladder is squished to the size of a tablespoon.  I usually have to go during the listed times, although sometimes I just get up for a break.  If I don’t stretch twice an hour I pay for it at the end of the day.

This email is turning into a good blog entry.

We are having a pizza party today as a staff to celebrate a great recruitment year.  I like pizza, but don’t you think pizza party makes it sound like Chuck E. Cheese or something?  Haha.  Anyway, I have to forfeit my practice hour, so while I’m happy about not having to bring lunch, I’m a little bummed about that.  I enjoy my hour away from everybody.

Write back when you have time.  Way to go on getting that homework knocked out!  I must admit, I don’t expect your daily replies to keep up for long because soon you will have so many friends your homework won’t get done…  J  You popular thing you.

Lots of love from your,
Kindred Spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment