Monday, July 4, 2016

Celebrations!

I had the best birthday week of my life a couple of weeks ago. Here are a few reasons why it was so special…

  • New kitchen things (Spatulas! Baking pan! Mixer attachment!)
  • Special little boy-to-mama gifts (Nail polish and sandalwood soap)
  • Homemade cookies and cream ice cream
  • Two new dresses
  • Two best friends visiting from oh so far away
  • Pampering at a salon
  • Week of vacation from work
  • Clothes shopping with best friend
  • Shipped boys off for weekend
  • Ergo, ate 7 consecutive meals at a normal, healthy grown-up pace
  • Dinner and dancing with my husband
  • Glorious weather for running
  • Professional photo shoot
  • New diamondey earrings
  • Birthday mail
  • A new pillow which is incredible and I can’t believe how much a nice pillow improves my quality of life
  • Baileys
  • Ergo, Irish coffee


OK, so…the vast majority of those things had nothing to do with my birthday. My bestest friend decided to get married the day after my birthday and almost all of those things were actually tied to being in the bridal party. But, comon’ now, mothers of young children: can you think of a better list? Even if it’s for the betterment of somebody else? For me that makes it even better because it justifies the time and expense. “Yes, I’ll get my hair done at a salon. Anything for Jessica.”

Bliss.

Her wedding was perfection. Every detail was thought through and executed so smoothly. And there was such JOY and excitement from everyone who attended. What an honor to stand up front with her and celebrate her union with Kevin. Truly wonderful. I kept it together emotionally through the whole weekend until their first dance. Then the walls came a tumblin’ down. Wow. So much happiness with a teensy twinge of “I don’t like change” mixed in.

And then we got to do another wedding just a week later! Lucas married Melissa in a lovely ceremony in which James made it safely down the aisle, Roy and I played the right music at the right times, and Owen didn’t melt down during the ceremony. All of the high fives. While Jess’ wedding was about reconnecting with lots of college and church friends, the Smiths’ provided a perfect reason to gather our sweet family together and celebrate. They had awesome dancing music at their reception and, Melissa, if you read this: best wedding cake I’ve EVER had. I sampled three kinds. (Thanks Roy and Owen for having different flavors and being so willing to share.)

Book 38/50: The Broker. Summer’s all about light reading, right? I’m on a Grisham kick.

39/50: The Brethren. More of the same.

40/50: Vanishing Acts. A Jodi Picoult. I remember why I stopped reading her a couple of years ago. So much cliché and unnecessary heartstring pulling and predictable plots. Done now. Allllll done.

I’m now reading through the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I read the Fellowship in high school but stalled out during The Two Towers. This is a big project. Roy reread them last week. I expect this will take me at least a month. I loved the movies, but this type of writing and genre tends to put me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment