Saturday, October 8, 2016

A Rant and Photos

Warning: what you are about to read is political in nature. But if you endure and hang with me you will be rewarded with photos of adorable kids doing brilliant things.

Much of the political fiasco of the past 12 months has rolled off my back. I keep my head down and the television off. 99% of what I see on Facebook is steeped in misinformed ignorance. I haven’t the patience to wade through it or say anything publicly for the inevitable tidal wave of backlash. Let’s be honest: Facebook is just a public forum to rant. It doesn’t change anyone’s mind.

But even with my eyes aimed at the ground I’ve been unable to completely avoid the muck and mire presidential candidates have spewed forth. And, seemingly, none of it has any staying power. Apparently our country has gotten to the point where nothing matters anymore. (This is why you have no reason to post anything political on Facebook.) But the past two days…I’ve been stewing. The words I’ve heard this weekend cause me new levels of great concern.

It’s not so much over Mr. Trump’s misogynistic, perverted comments. Anybody with 2 cents worth of anything knows he’s an egotistical narcissist. It baffles me that anybody could be convinced that he had their best interests at heart. (I’m not sure he has one.) No, what concerns me is this…

Mr. Trump’s vile, criminal statements demand swift response from those who would call themselves followers of Jesus Christ. Let me be clear. It makes my blood boil to see so many evangelical leaders in this country completely silent or, unbelievably, defending Mr. Trump at any level. Or, worse, to immediately trot out something that sullies his opponent in a pathetic attempt to equalize/justify his reprehensible behaviors.

Those who would cry out on behalf of the unborn or the institution of marriage have fallen silent when it comes to defending the cause of WOMEN. Mr. Trump has made me more of a feminist through his words and actions in the past week than any liberal in my lifetime. And while I refuse to enter into any form of petty debate on Facebook, I fear that if I remain silent entirely I fall into the same category as those I denounce in the preceding paragraph.

I grew up in the evangelical church. I am, essentially, a product of Focus on the Family. Largely, that was a good thing. I am still working out my faith as an adult, of course, but I am so thankful for the values and consistency an evangelical upbringing gave me. And I understand that not every leader in the evangelical church is supporting Mr. Trump. But even one is too many, and it’s far, far more than one. Those who defend this politician abandon me and thousands of other women who trusted in them and were discipled through their books, magazines, radio programs, blogs, and conferences.

I will not be voting for Donald Trump and I cannot fathom a logical scenario in which you could convince me otherwise. I don’t know WHO I will vote for at this moment actually (but I will be voting, and so should you!). But the greater hurt and damage to me are the actions of those who have told me that they will love their neighbors as themselves, will seek first the kingdom of God, will pick up their crosses, will defend the cause of the poor and widowed, will do unto others, will honor their wives, and will run with endurance the race set before them. Whose race are you really running and who, exactly, are you defending?

A dear friend reminded me today, letting her actions speak louder than her words, that prayer is our most powerful tool. So tonight I seek to lift up those who offend and anger me, as well as my country. There is some peace in knowing that our prayers are more effective than our single vote!


And with that, I leave you with adorable pictures of my dear sons, whose laughter and joy bring me hope in the midst of aforementioned blood boilage. :)

James is doing a lot better at gymnastics. But I got a real kick out of watching him distractedly wander out of line and into this hidey hole. And then I laughed out loud as Coach Paul dragged him out by his ankles.
This kid is incredibly handsome. And almost two!
He also had his first "PB&J" thanks to sunflower butter from Aldi. It's our new favorite.
This incredibly handsome kid is READING. Oliver Pig, Dr. Seuss, the Berenstein Bears, and Curious George stand no match for the incredibly-focused Mighty James.
This is Mighty James' superhero outfit, btw. Or at least, that's what he told me this morning. (The boots are on the wrong feet.)
We've had a generous allotment of Elmo and George this week, thanks to an encore appearance of Hand, Foot, and Mouth for Sir Owen.
While James tolerates gymnastics, Owen is positively ACHING to get on the floor. (Look, there's even a dog at the gym!)
Saw this at a used book store today. Imma just leave it here...
...cause this has been my thought life the past two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment