Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Compare and contrast

James at 23 months: Conducts Firebird with rapt concentration as he hits the beats and sways dramatically to the music. Once it’s over he pauses, turns to me, and states unblinkingly, “Do aDAIN.”

Owen at 23 months: Takes the cushion off of the chair, turning it into his own personal trampoline, bouncing with a ridiculous smile on his face, left hand clutching his prized green ball, as Short Ride in a Fast Machine plays in the background. Once it’s over he keeps jumping, shouting, “Moe! MOE! I wan’ MOE!!!!”

James at 23 months: Tries putting his feet on the pedals of his trike once, then quickly gives up and makes his parents push him around for the next year.

Owen at 23 months: Tries putting his feet on the pedals of his trike once, and persists to the exclusion of any help. Pushes his parents’ hands away so he can keep practicing, unless he tips over and gets stuck under the wheels. Whenever he manages to get somewhere (usually when aimed downhill) he shouts “yaaaaayyyyy!!!!”

James at 23 months: Sits and listens to books for, literally, hours if you’d let him. Wants to read the original Curious George books and knows and says his letters and colors.

Owen at 23 months: Will “sit” for a book or two, but usually only if they involve pop-ups or animal sounds. Gets bored with any kind of real story book unless it’s less than two minutes long or Elephant and Piggie. If you show him letters he invariably responds “Eeeeee!!!!” and if you ask him what color it’s “Geeeeen!!!!” Always with exclamation points.

James at 23 months: Will give an obligatory hug at bedtime, but rarely initiates physical affection for humans. Needs a ginky, George, and Steven to go to sleep.

Owen at 23 months: Hugs. Hugs for Mommy, hugs for Daddy, hugs for ALL of the babies. Hugs to the greeters at church and the nursery workers. No wonder this kid gets sick more than his older brother. Requires nothing but his own two fingers and an earlobe to sleep.


Here’s a really horrible thing. I know I’ve read a couple of books between A Prayer for Owen Meany and Water for Elephants. But I can’t remember, and I apparently can’t look it up on my online library account. Sniff. If I can come up with one or more I’ll be sure to insert. Roy and I have been doing a lot of crosswords at night…but STILL. I know I’m missing a couple…

Book 57: A Prayer for Owen Meany. The longest read of 2016 so far. A curious tale about a modern-day Messiah veiled in humor, irony, and tragedy. I laughed at times and other times I kept on keeping on. Owen Meany is quite the literary character, I will say that. This is one of those books that I guess I’m glad I finished, but would probably be much more interesting as a book-club read, where there could be discussion and analysis following.

Book 58: Boy Erased: A memoir of a young man, raised in a Missionary Baptist home, who comes out to his family and is sent to “ex gay therapy.” I could probably write an entire blog about this book if I wanted to be controversial, but suffice it to say, he did not have a good experience and ended up choosing to embrace the homosexual lifestyle. Knowing this before I even turned the first page I assumed the critiques of the Christian community would be scathing, and they were. But even if you read past the obvious anger and mistrust of the author towards Christianity, it would appear that this young man was, indeed, abused, misled, and unloved by those who were claiming “healing through Christ.” Disturbing at a number of levels.

Book 59: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The most delightful read of 2016 thus far. I passed it onto Roy immediately and highly recommend, particularly if you love historical fiction that involves letter-writing, British humor, and whimsy. (IE, all of the people who read this blog.)



2 comments:

  1. Great description of Owen Meany. Very compelling read with a lot of meat, but not always entirely enjoyable. Would have been better to discuss, as you said. (I read it at least 10 years ago.) Loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (read for Storyslingers book club with Erica)! Also loved Water for Elephants! I'm really off my usual book count this year, but I'm listening to Jane Eyre (I could read that book 200 times and not get sick of it) and reading Eden's Outcasts about Louisa May Alcott and her father Bronson Alcott (at least I started it while traveling for work...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have reread Jane Eyre a few times!! :) A favorite for sure.

    ReplyDelete