Saturday, April 18, 2020

What's new...

My blog is currently serving as a storehouse for COVID-19 recollections. These days can be monotonous, and yet, I don't want to forget anything. I can't promise that anything that follows is going to be entertaining in the least, but at least it will be rememberable, which is not a word but who cares?

  • I didn't get to go to Disney World this week. That was a bummer. Even more of a bummer is that my friend who works for Disney World is now officially furloughed for the foreseeable future. However, we are both making the most of our free time by downloading Netflix Party and watching the Great British Baking Show together. Friendship is sweet, even when in a compromised form.
  • I made a new mask today for grocery shopping. I had been using a construction mask that Roy had lying down in the basement. It was full of dust and other microscopic building materials, and gave me a headache. I found a pattern online, cut up an old t-shirt, which may or may not have had a family logo on it but was such a pretty pink color, and ta-da! When I returned from the stores Roy said, "I know it's been a long time since you've worn something new, so did anybody compliment you on your mask?" 
  • Roy continues to arrange movie music faster than I can learn it. I've spent weeks on one particularly gnarly piano part, which we may or may not record next week, depending on how courageous I feel. So far we've done Leia, JFK, Wall Rat, The Natural, and The Face of Pan. We read through half a dozen more today for fun, and there are another half dozen plus that we haven't touched yet. 
  • This week I led a half-hour of worship music online and gave a 5 minute online devotional. I far preferred the devotional. There is a deep longing to connect and love on my church family right now and, for whatever reason, being able to speak to them for a few minutes felt right and good. Roy commented afterwards, "You know how Wally keeps encouraging you to consider ordination? If you wanted to prove him wrong you did yourself no favors just now." (They are both sweet.)
  • The kids are playing well together overall. I am so glad they are friends and creative and imaginative. Owen's reading has taken OFF this past week--what a delight to overhear him reading Frog and Toad books to Felix the other day! James' biggest struggle revolves around surprises at the dinner table. (Heaven forbid we serve a lunch that is not a cheese and mustard sandwich.) Owen's revolves around fairness and keeping up with James. Felix's is refusing to sit in the tub. 
  • I brought home a hair highlighting kit today. This is an annual tradition during my now-bygone Florida trip. I told Roy I had a surprise bonding activity for us. I don't think this is exactly what he had in mind. BUT he can pick the movie to watch while he pulls my hair through the cap. I figure if it turns out disastrously nobody will be seeing me for another month at the very least. :D
  • Extra time in the kitchen are the best parts of these days. Baking homemade sandwich bread, practicing sourdough, puttering through leisurely dinner prep, even having the time afterwards to properly clean up. I find such joy and creative satisfaction around food. Last night we all rolled umbricelli together at the table and then feasted on homemade pasta in an incredible sausage-mushroom sauce. There were no leftovers. There was no guilt.
  • That being said, I'm really, really, extra thankful these days for a husband who keeps me accountable in making healthy choices and a treadmill that keeps my feet active every day. 
I guess that's all for now. Soon it will be time to get back in the kitchen. Veggie burgers are prepped and need to be cooked. I think we'll serve them on sourdough toast and top with all of the things. Keeping an array of condiments, vinegars, and sauces in the house pays off big time when the grocery store doesn't always have the ingredients you wish for. More soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment