Thursday, October 21, 2010

Admissions equations

November 11=Veterans Day
Veterans Day does NOT=day off for college students  (I can't find the equal-sign-with-the-slash-through-it on my keyboard)
Veterans Day=day off for high schools
Day off for high schools = prospective student visits at college

Veterans Day = No admissions counselors until 11 AM
Veterans Day = Admissions luncheon at the President's house from 11:30-1

So...to sum up:
Veterans Day=student visits + admissions luncheon - admissions counselors=one very frazzled events coordinator

In other news, I directed a choir of 65+ year olds last night.  I was subbing for my VWH, who had a gig in PA.  I was definitely out of my element.  Flute choirs I can do.  Singers...I know nothing about diction.  (I still catch myself saying 'prolly' every day.)  And then when the pianist backed out I was faced with conducting, playing piano, and singing all at the same time.  I know women are supposed to be multi-taskers, but comon'!  (...see what I mean about diction...)  Thankfully they were all very sweet old people and one especially cheeky, elderly chap commented on how much nicer I was to look at than VWH.

Then I got home with time for a long, hot shower and a book before sleep claimed me.  VWH had a day off teaching today, which meant that all of the tasks that I've been dawdling on have gotten accomplished.  Paying bills--done!  Grocery shopping--vamoose!  And Janette cooked dinner so I don't even have to do that when I get back.  I am one spoiled woman.

VWH got back from the grocery store with everything except coarse salt.  We're having a party tomorrow night and making homemade soft pretzels, for which I need pretzel salt.  He called from the parking lot to inform me that he couldn't find the salt.  "Did you ask somebody for help?"  "...no...  Welp, I'm on my way home now--see you soon!"  Upon his return he offered the following explanation:  "Well, you see--it didn't even occur to me to ask for help.  I think this must be because I'm a hunter-gatherer, and in the ancient days the hunter-gatherers never asked a squirrel for help finding the large game."  (This declaration sent Janette into spasms of laughter.)  First off, what in the world is a hunter-gatherer?  Some kind of man/woman cross?  Secondly, I doubt Wegmans employees around the world would appreciate being likened to squirrels in the wilderness.

Here's a random thought (brought on by the annonying sensation reminding me that I need Chapstick): which is more gross--borrowing somebody else's lip balm or dipping your finger into a vat of Vaseline?  Originally I would have taken the Vaseline, but upon further reflection, I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment