Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Football Tuesday

I have other interests besides music and admissions.  (The latter of which isn't exactly a huge interest, other than the paycheck it offers.)  Growing up in a family of men (minus Mom and, later, the dog) has its perks, and one of the biggest was my NFL education.  In comparison to my female friends, namely the flautists, who shun manly team sports and opt for figure skating (which, coincidentally, I also like), there's nothing better in my mind than to plop down on the couch Sunday afternoon surrounded by warm blankets, snacks, and the CBS NFL theme. 

My Pennsylvanian heritage instilled in me an unshakeable love for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I have since discovered that Steeler fans are found throughout the country.  Steeler fans are blue-collar, hard-working, salt-of-the-earth people.  When you reflect on Pittsburgh you don't think of the ballet or art galleries.  You think coal mines and lumberjacks.  The mentality of Steeler fans reflects this determined, gritty work ethic.  I've also realized that there's a large faction of Steeler-haters who equate them with dirty, no-good, lousy teams like the Ravens, Cowboys, and <gasp> Patriots.  (Just writing that makes me want to take a shower.)  I, of course, do not join in the sentiment and prefer the honorific terms you've read earlier in this post.  When you see "cheap shot," I think "hard-hitting."  "Ref's favorite team," translates to "great reputation."  OK, so I might be biased, but probably just about all of it is factual.

My VWH is also a huge NFL fan, an interest that provided us much conversation fodder early on in our relationship.  He, unfortunately, is from the greater Buffalo area, which means he roots for the Bills.  Wholeheartedly.  For better or for WORSE.  The Bills haven't been to the playoffs in 10 years.  As of this post they haven't won a game yet this season.  Their team strategy appears to consist of hiring the cheapest players and hopefully salvaging a season that doesn't make the commissioner move the team to Toronto.  My VWH and I are far too cheap to have cable television, so our viewing options in Rochester are, of course, the Bills week in and week out.  I miss my Steelers, particularly because their games far more accurately represent the actual National Football League's standards of athleticism.  Bills games have progressively deteriorated recently, causing my VWH to literally end up in the fetal position on the floor groaning "It hurts, it hurts."

The Bills host the Steelers in another month, a game that we've discussed attending.  It would be my first NFL game in Buffalo, which the VWH warns me can become violent if you're not wearing the home team's colors.  I could probably be convinced not to wear my Steelers garb (at least not the outermost, visible layer), but I will not compromise to the point of wearing the opposing team's jersey.  Boo.  It should be a blow-out anyway, leading to inner satisfaction.  We'll see--Pittsburgh tends to blow out the good teams and eek out wins against the chaff of the league.  In any case, it will be a spousal adventure to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment