Thursday, March 17, 2011

Overheard from a substitute teacher...

Student: “I can imitate any animal!  Ask me for any animal sound!”
Teacher: “How about a giraffe in space”
Student: “I can combine breeds too!  Ask me about any two dogs!”
Teacher: “A poodle and a lab mix in space.”
Student: “Why do you love space so much?”
Teacher: “There are no children there.”

“I  ran out of things to do with my 2nd grade class so I taught them Ubbi Dubbi (Turkey Talk).  They thought it was the coolest thing ever and managed to acquire a rough working knowledge of it before the end of the day.  Now it’s spread throughout the school and I get dirty looks from various staff members when I show up to sub.  Also, it somehow has turned from Ubbi Dubbi into Hobby Wobby.”

Teacher to me via text message: “Quick!  What’s x3y2z9/x5y2z3? 
Me: “Umm.  54xyz/30xyz.  Or 9/5.
Teacher to me: “No!  The numbers were exponents!  Help—I’m in class and I have no clue what to do!”
Me: <Puts head down on desk and laughs.>

 “I once subbed for a fifth grade English class.  Their assignment was to work quietly writing a paragraph about some topic…I don’t remember what it was about.  Anyway, kids these days all have hand-held spell checkers.  The class worked relatively quietly, with the only noise being the computerized, monotone voice of their spell checkers pronouncing words.  “Coun-ty…”  “Cha-rac-ter…”  “Boob…”  “Boob.”  “Boob.  Boob.  Boob. Boob.  Boob…”  Needless to say, the class was gone for the rest of the period.

No comments:

Post a Comment