Friday, January 6, 2017

Highlights of the holidays

A far less-stressful Christmas Eve. Childcare was available on the premises, the services were simple, and I wasn’t required to direct anything. I still wish for the quiet night at home with steaming soup, crusty bread, and family, but this ended up being a step in the right direction.

Telling the boys about a new baby Christmas morning. James’ response. “How do you know?” (I showed him an ultrasound picture.) “How will it get out.” (Roy gave a vague response about hospitals.) “What will we name her?” I think it’s worth finding out the gender ahead of time just in case it isn’t a girl James has 4 months to get used to the idea. (Owen, by the way, generally just jumped around and demanded breakfast.)

Sunday night at the lodge. Watching the impromptu, but nearly identical, victory dance of each parent after he/she returned from putting kids to bed. Chicken wing dip, toasts, a perfect fire, and laughter. And a few too many poop stories.

Wednesday night in PA. The boys’ gifts, the adult gifts, the appetizers-for-dinner, meeting Valya, puzzle progress.

Thursday night in PA. Daniel’s pizza, a cloud blanket, talking all night, the wisdom and depth of the conversation, sparkling cider, a martini, and a little Larceny.


Book 1/30: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. It took me two attempts to get hooked on this book, but I’m glad I tried again. A murder mystery solved by an 11 year old chemist. It reminded me a bit of the gloomy setting of Lemony Snicket with the puzzle-solving of the Mysterious Benedict Society and a little bit of Back to the Future mixed in (there’s a big clock tower). This book made me thankful I don’t wear lipstick. I recommend and plan on checking out the next books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment