Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Scattered Weekend Musings

The church choir I am currently accompanying for has a life expectance of about 10-15 years max.  I counted the number of those wearing glasses to those not: 24-3.  The average member age is probably around 70.  The rate of vibrato has slowed to “warble speed.”

No matter how hard I try to get him excited, VWH will never enjoy The Amazing Race.  We go weekly to gather with friends and watch each episode (we classify it as “fellowship”).  VWH always brings a book or staff paper.  And then he sits in the back and tries to block out the noise of the television and all of our overzealous observations.  This week I managed to get him on a couch much closer to the actual action.  He peeked up a few times and uttered the answer to the first clue before the announcer had finished saying it.  Other than that—nothing.  Too bad.  I can respect his love for literature, and I DO appreciate that he comes at all.  But I suppose the drama I relish from TAR isn’t for everyone.
Most of the snow that has been our constant friend since December melted on Friday.  There were patches of delicious green mud here and there.  Our driveway was a lot easier to get in and out of.  It even smelled like spring!  And then I woke up on Saturday and there were 4 inches that had fallen overnight.  There are few times when I miss North Carolina, but that was one of them.
Apparently all of New England decided that they should visit our campus over the weekend.  I’ve got emails and phone messages galore.  Unfortunately for them—there are no classes or students this week.  They all seem to think that we should be open for business, even though the vast majority of schools (and other colleges) around have off too.  I don’t follow their logic, but I am happy to call them back and educate them.  The counselors are too, because then they don’t have to give a zillion tours in place of the student tour guides we use during the semester.
I was able to attend a professional orchestra concert on Saturday night (VWH was playing).  The first piece on the program was a violin concerto performed by an up-and-coming soloist.  The concerto was unfamiliar to me and VWH and, as he didn’t perform until the second half, we enjoyed it together in the balcony.  It was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.  First off, the concerto, all twenty-nine excruciating minutes of it, pretty much sounded like game show music.  I’m pretty sure I’ve heard some of those licks on the Price is Right.  And the performer, young as she was, was a big girl who chose one of those hideous dresses you might see on “What Were They Thinking?”  It was this black thing that had long bright yellow tails that looked more like academic regalia than decorations.  And the yellow, which clashed violently with the light wood of the concert hall flooring, was unfortunately splashed across her ample chest as well.  She looked like a giant insect—maybe a yellow jacket.  She did seem very excited to be on that game show (I mean stage).  Yes sirree,, those bumblebee bosoms were a’bouncin’.

The rest of the concert, by the way, improved significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment