Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Just us against the world. Day 2, Pt 2.



I use nap time to do laundry, shower, and get ready for today’s outing.  VWH is doing well in his out-of-state location, although his hotel didn’t have a breakfast, or WIFI.  He did get to watch the aforementioned NFL game though, and agrees with Mike and Mike.  The officials are stinking the place up.  I ignorantly and indignantly agree.

11:45 am.  James awakes.  Long nap!  Those who are praying for this little guy to give his mommy breaks are being heard.  He is happy and giggly as I dress him for the day.  He is so stinking cute.  Those of you who say that baby boys don’t get cute clothes like girls, read ‘em and weep:

Thanks to Aunt Kylie for the sweet vest.
12:00 pm.  Lunch for James.  I, who have been hungry since 11, have to wait a little bit longer since I’m meeting a former co-worker for lunch at 1.  James eats green beans without a fuss!  It’s fun to watch him recognize things now, like when I hold up a banana and he hoots and hollers like it’s Christmas morning. 

12:30 pm.  We depart for town.  I somehow get my growing child balanced in one arm and a box full of 150 newsletters in the other at the post office.  I drop the newsletters off and pray that the nice postal worker lady who told me the other day that they “probably wouldn’t have a problem with just one stamp” is working today.  I never want to see one of those newsletters again.  At least until December, when the next issue gets underway...

1:00 pm.  James and I pull into Jitters for my lunch.  Great Scott!  Jitters is now carrying a salted caramel latte!  My Starbucks-employed friend got me hooked on the darn things a few weeks ago and I’m thrilled to see that I can buy one for $2 cheaper at Jitters.  It’s really good too.  I enjoy my latte and great conversation with Michele, a co-worker from my office days.  She is a mom of young kids and is one of the few friends I have who is not single and younger than me.  I am encouraged by her testimony and honesty, and pray that I might be able to brighten her day a bit as well.  James contents himself with dropping his toys and chewing on my water bottle.  I wonder how much longer of a window I have when I can take him out in public without disrupting the general populace?

2:15 pm.  We return home and resume play.  The latte hits me and I crank up one of James’ favorite tunes, Point of Grace’s “You are the Answer.”  I don’t quite know how this ended up on his playlist, but he bounces and has some good head-bangin’ fun.  So we play it and bounce and bob along with him.  I took a few snapshots of playtime this afternoon, since describing it probably isn’t as interesting, and definitely not as adorable.

Hey!  A camera!

Climbing Dad's trumpet case to try to get on the chair.

Laundry basket walker!

Want to do this all day!
Love these little toes.

OK Mom.  Stop it with the pictures already.
4:00 pm.  James goes down for a power nap and I catch up with VWH.  He is having a very eventful trip.  Maybe more to say about that later...

4:45 pm.  James is up again, but only in spirit.  His body doesn’t really wake up until 5:30.  We snuggle and keep things mellow as to not bring on the grumps.  I hear up some supper (leftover stir fry) and when James shows minimal interest I know he is sleepy...or it wasn’t great stir fry. 

6:00 pm.  Supper for James.  He does a good job eating with minimal mess-making.  Then we head for the bath.

6:15 pm.  Bath time is, once again, SO COOL.  Mom gets doused, James burns off any calories consumed at supper by kicking furiously and sending splashes across the bathroom floor.  He gets wrapped up in a nice cozy sleeper and we kill the remaining time before bed playing, dancing, and singing together.

7:15 pm.  Nigh’night James.  The kid who was so sleepy at 4:45 is now wide awake and not willing to go quietly.  I close the door and head downstairs to hear various unidentifiable noises that lead to one very identifiable sound.  THUMP plus WAAAAAAHHHHH!  Somebody took a tumble in his crib.  I don’t want to go up if I can help it.  He wails pathetically for 15 seconds and then starts talking to himself.  He’s fine.  He hums and chatters for another 5 minutes, then calms into gentle sighs.  And then, peace. 

The evening post-bedtime is filled with cross stitching and wonderful conversation with a dear friend.  I get to bed too late to post this blog.  This will have to suffice.  Day three recap still to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment