Thursday, November 8, 2012

Cleanliness is next to godli...impossible

If I had a smart phone I would take a picture of my kitchen and post it.  Hurricane James is in bed and I have yet to mop up from the day's damage.  There are at least 30 books scattered around the floor, plus refrigerator magnets, sippy cups, and furniture askew.  And Tupperware.  All over the place.

In an attempt to placate James, we allow him to enter just one of our kitchen cabinets: the Tupperware cabinet.  (Actually, it's Rubbermaid or something even more generic, but we call it Tupperware so you'll just have to go with it.)  He greatly enjoys this cabinet, pulling out each lid and container and spreading them hither and yon.  Sometimes he gets extra-adventurous and enters the cabinet himself, exploring the deep recesses of the kitchen netherworld.

My Tupperware is very important to me.  I use it every day to pack lunches, put away leftovers, store baby food, and often eat out of (because what mom really wants to dirty another dish?).  I get a weird thrill out of stacking clean Tupperware together and seeing the nice, neat, organized piles when I'm finished.  (Square container pile, rectangular pile, circular pile, etc.)  I begrudgingly share it with James mostly because it's the safest of the kitchen cabinets.  I sometimes secretly wish I could block it off from him and avoid the mess on the floor each night (not to mention tripping over and stepping on it all day).

VWH also steals my Tupperware.  I am not the greatest wife when it comes to remembering to pack him a lunch.  So usually his lunch is leftovers, food he thankfully usually prefers to sandwiches and carrot sticks anyway.  It's quick for me to grab out of the fridge and it's quick for him to grab when I forget.  I freely admit that I could stand to improve in my lunch-preparing abilities.  But VWH could definitely stand to work on bringing the dirty Tupperwares back at the end of the workday.  I subbed for him yesterday and was reunited with a quarter of my dear plastic friends sitting on the floor next to his desk.  I know that at least another 25% is in his car.

So today I am thankful for the few precious plastic containers that remain unsmushed and unmoldy by the men in my life.  (Even though I wouldn't trade those men for a million Tupperwares...but that's for another day of thanksgiving.)  Here's to the homemaking queen and her wanna-be clean kitchen!

...and here's to reality.  This isn't my kitchen, but it's pretty darn close.

No comments:

Post a Comment