Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A Christmas Mix

Well bloggy, dreams DO come true. And KitchenAid owes me a commission, because there’s been an EXPLOSION of mixing going on in my world since I started posting about hoping to own one someday.

First things first: Roy told me before Thanksgiving that we could do the mixer as the family gift this year. (I added silently, And Valentines Day, and my birthday, and anniversary…) I came to him around Black Friday with my “save the most pennies” plan. It included, and I’m not even joking:

30% off coupon
$50 mail-in rebate
$15 off coupon
$5 off coupon
$75 back in store cash (which I spent on gifts for the boys)
Free shipping

I whacked almost $200 off the cost of that bad boy…and I’m not going to lie—it felt satisfying to play the system and win.

So we ordered it. In yellow. A beautiful cheery yellow that is non-trendy and non-ugly. It’s perky and matches my apron. It came way too quickly—early December. Two days later my hand mixer broke, as previously mentioned in this blog. I was faced with a dilemma: do I throw away a bowl full of pricey butter and not-so-pricey sugar that was half-creamed? Do I go out and buy another cheapo hand mixer to patch the gap until Christmas? Or do I open my gift early? I didn’t want to open it. I really didn’t. But the cheapskate in me that found six combinable discounts also didn’t want to throw all that butter in the trash.

I opened it in a total rush because I needed to leave for a rehearsal. And then I realized I had no idea how to work the thing properly and such an investment deserved a thorough reading of the manual (sans highlighter, I will admit Joe Hamway…).

So I covered my bowl and came back after rehearsal to cream it properly. And did it ever. Wow! I made soooooo many cookies this December. And it kneaded bread. And it whipped cream. It makes MEATBALLS.
It's a match made in heaven. Me 'n Mr. Yellow. Elliot Yellow, to be precise, but that's another story for another day.
So anyhoo, I thought my KitchenAid story was coming to an end, but perhaps not. Within a couple of days of mine arriving in the mail I had a sister-in-law send me a photo of her very own brand new (to her anyway…) KitchenAid stand mixer. Whaaa??? I had another sister-in-law contact me wanting pricing info because she was considering upgrading her mixing needs. I had a BROTHER contact me about similar things and, lo and behold, he graced my MOM with her very own KitchenAid on Christmas morning too.

So, KitchenAid…how about a lil commission for all that business I’ve been dredging up for ya?

It’s so purty.

Today’s 1%: Our family is home together after an out-of-town venture for Roy. My one percent is doing a better-than-average job keeping up with the house in his absence. And we took down all the Christmas decorations and moved a bunch of furniture around despite getting about 4 hours of sleep last night. Woo!

ALSO, BONUS 1%! There is a gymnastics podcast out there that is as geeky as I am about the sport!!!!!!!!!! When the host made a comment along the lines of, “Chusovitina brought a lot of honor to Uzbekistan in spite of originally representing the Soviets in the early 90s,” I thought, “Preach it!  … Wait a minute…did somebody else just actually say that out loud? SOULMATES!”

Book 1/50 finished: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. A reread, but very satisfying. I haven’t taken the time to reread HP in a few years. Rowling is SO brilliant.



No comments:

Post a Comment