Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A little journey day 7 plus June DNI prep

Short update on the gluten free thing. Last night we had GF shortcake and it was the best. Seriously. It wasn't as good as floured-shortcake, but in my desperation it worked. It was dense and had chew. It was kind of like slightly lighter, sweetened cornbread. And it wasn't as flat as a pancake either! Devoured by all. :) Cousin Carina sending numerous recipes for other GF treats, including black bean brownie bites! 

And today has been an amazing day so far. I had, for the first time I can remember, breakfast in bed! My little men, aided by their wonderful father, brought me fruit, eggs, cottage cheese, and coffee. I heard them clomping up the stairs…

James, “OK! Are you ready?”
Roy, “Hang on, we need to wait for Owen.”
Owen, <Clomp, clomp, CLOMP>
James, “Here he is. Hey, Owen!” <BUMP>
Roy, “Uh…oops.”
James, “Did it spill?”
Roy, “Yep. All over the tray. Is your head OK?”
James, “Uh-HUH. O-KAY! Let’s DO IT.”

It was all so masculine and sweet. James shouted “surprise!” and informed me that after breakfast he needed to pick me more flowers. (He brought me a bouquet of clover yesterday.) Oh how I love being a mummy to little boys. Owen even did a comparatively reasonable job of letting me eat in peace without begging for bites.

We packed up shortly after breakfast and ran to the Irondequoit Bay for a lengthy hike and rock-throwing adventure. We quickly found our favorite hidden stream and the little ones did a good job of not getting too wet. James took a bad spill out of a fallen tree trying to get a look at a toad, but he dusted himself off and immediately tried again, with success. He’s getting much braver and more determined to finish what he starts. Proud mama.

Now we’re back, showered, with nothing else on our agenda except for Date Night In! Tonight is “A Touch of Thai.” I was fretting over DNI this month as I knew there was only one choice for the spring dates that doesn’t contain gluten. (Me and my stupidly self-inflicted experiments.) I love Thai food, but this DNI requires an ice cream maker, which we don’t own, and which are not inexpensive.

Lo and behold, Mr. UPS man delivered a brand new KitchenAid ice cream attachment yesterday for my mixer. (Which is the gift that just keeps on GIVING!) Roy anticipated all of this without me saying anything and ordered it just in time. So we’re having homemade Thai ice cream tonight friends. Along with spring rolls and green curry (with homemade curry paste). I am super excited—lots of wonderful spices and veggies and new flavors. Pictures and a full review forthcoming. After the 3+ miles of running plus couple more of hiking I think we’ve earned every calorie!

#smithsabbath
 #jameswantschocolateicecream
#iwonttellhimitsnationaleatchocolateicecreamday
#coconuticecreamforthewin

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing! I got an ice cream maker (as a gift) over a year ago and had a couple unsuccessful experiences with sorbets so I put it away. I got it out again this week and made ginger ice cream using coconut milk and it worked just fine. YUM! How do you make homemade green curry paste? And where did you go hiking? Jason and I have been all over Lucien Morin and Abraham Lincoln parks, though we're on hiking hiatus due to a home improvement project and my unfortunate shin splints at present. They're both great parks!

    ReplyDelete