Monday, June 6, 2016

A little journey, day 6

Well, the first three days passed relatively uneventfully (save National Doughnut Day) but then my body went into super bread-craving mode. I don’t know how much was physical and how much was mental, but I know I wanted pizza with the doughiest, chewiest crust ever and I wanted it bad. I felt hungry constantly and nothing seemed to fill me up. I’m somewhat ashamed to admit that I had a Saturday night binge of ice cream (a lot of ice cream) and nachos. I’ve never made nachos in my life, but suddenly the idea of melted cheese on corn chips sounded amazing. And it kind of was.

Other challenges:
·         Communion weekend at church. I forgot on Saturday and didn’t choose a GF wafer. And then I thought that maybe taking somebody else’s GF wafer who legitimately needed it was less holy than cheating on my experiment. So I didn’t take one on Sunday either. (They must think the wafers have wheat in them or they wouldn’t have a GF option, but I’m pretty sure they are just cardboard and sponge.)
·         I was honored to assist a dear student on her senior recital last night and her family threw the fanciest reception afterwards. And I realized there are lots more things you can’t eat if you are gluten intolerant. Like cheesecake. Roy floated the idea of scraping the top part off and leaving the crust, but that felt unrefined, and the plates were flimsy. But I can’t say the thought hadn’t crossed my mind too. You also can’t eat: spanakopita, crusted-quiche, pretzels, tea cookies, shortbread, or pigs in a blanket. But I didn’t notice any of that...
·         This morning I heard Roy get the singing Owen Bear up and opted to nab a couple extra minutes of shut-eye. About half an hour later I heard the bedroom door open as Roy entered to dress for the day. I heard little clomping feet behind him and cries of, “Mama! Mama!” And then Owen was directly in front of my face holding a half-eaten piece of bread. He waved it in front of me happily, taking little bites and chattering away about his little world. Then I lifted him into bed and he scattered little glutenous crumbs all over my sheets.

The world is full of bread my friends. If you are one of the people who can’t eat it, I feel sorry for you. I really do. You’re missing out on so much good in the world.

I watched the first part of a documentary Saturday evening (after the nachos) about the evils of sugar and how much of it we consume compared to all previous generations. So maybe I’ll have another little journey after this one concludes. But not until after I get my birthday cake.


Today’s 1%: Book 36/50: Grey Mountain. A John Grisham I started once or twice but never finished. I got past the hump and, surprisingly, the story went in some different directions than anticipated. It still wasn’t that great though. His last couple of books have been heavy on the politics, light on the courtroom. There are enough politics in my life right now, so I didn’t love this. This book also had a female lead, and I don’t think he writes women as well as men. But Princess Louise is taking so long I needed a diversion. And now this is finished and I’ll return to her bio.

No comments:

Post a Comment