Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A little journey, day 1

Today I embark on a new mini-adventure. I’ve been toying with the notion of attempting life gluten-free for a while now. My best friend has a gluten intolerance and I, admittedly, have far too high a tolerance! So here, June 1, starts two weeks without the big gluteney things, including wheat bread, baked goods with flour, pasta, and probably almost all snacks. Here are the ground rules:

1.       No wheat products. However, I want to live like a normal gluten-free person does, so I don’t expect others to cater their menus to me. I will prepare, adjust, and adapt on my own.
2.       While I will avoid the obvious no-nos, I am also aware that manufacturers can slip gluten into weird things, like soy sauce. I don’t have time to read every single ingredient list for myself, especially since I already do that on behalf of my youngest, who has food allergies. I’m not allergic, so if I accidentally ingest some gluten in some random form I’m not going to sweat it. (That being said, if you give me a loaf of bread shaped like an ear of corn does that give me permission to eat it?)
3.       My family in no way has to conform to this experiment.
4.       I was going to try this for a month, but my birthday is on the 24th and, let’s face it, I want the cake.

I’m curious to see if I feel differently. I’m curious to see if it forces my creative hand in the kitchen. I’m curious to realize just how much bread I normally ingest in a two week period. I’m curious to live the life of so many with Celiac disease and walk a few days in their shoes.


So, here goes nothing!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! A couple months ago I read "Eating Clean" by Amie Valpone (no gluten, dairy, egg, soy, corn, meat, or refined sugar). I haven't strictly followed her regime, but I cut out nearly all gluten (short of buying gluten-free oats at over 2x the price). We always eat lots of veggies and we've been eating more beans/grains and less meat, as well. I'm not really looking to add snacks with wheat-substitutes (like bread, crackers, etc.), but she has quite a few recipes of that ilk. A couple years ago, Jason made me some delicious vegan gluten-free cupcakes with chocolate avocado frosting. Last year Marcy made me a chocolate black bean cake (mostly black beans and eggs!) with coconut cream/peanut butter icing. For your birthday, you should have whatever kind of cake you want! Let me know if you'd like some gluten-free recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Carina! I definitely intend to have gluten-filled cake for my birthday. :D If you have any awesome recipes I'll take 'em! I'm thinking that the one area I may make my family indulge me is in a gluten-free pizza crust...any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete